Monday 1 October 2012

Coffee, Liqueur Chocolates and Guilt?

It's that time of the morning, near 11 o'clock. My feet automatically hot foot it to the coffee machine. There is something comforting about being middle-aged and having these small rituals every day. When you complete the ritual, then all the world is at peace but sometimes, when work or activities interfere with that ritual, there is a feeling of something jarring, something not quite right. I have the same thing about listening to 'Women's hour on BBC Radio 4'. I love knowing that at 10 o'clock, I will be able to switch it on and get on with housework, or writing, or some such nonsense. When I miss it, or only start listening, at, say, 10.20 am, I feel cheated. Sad but true. Thank goodness for iplayer!! So this morning, to shake things up a bit and not get too complacent, I decided to live a little and have a liqueur chocolate with my coffee. There was an initial thought of 'liqueur chocolates are just for Christmas' but then I silenced this voice by saying to myself, "well at £1.19 for a packet of them, it can be Christmas every day". It was a Whiskey cream one, so by shoving that in my mouth and then a sip of coffee, it was like liqueur coffee heaven! It was naughty, but it was so very definitely nice. Sometimes, you have to force yourself to get out of the rut. The older you get, and the more comfortable the rut gets, the more difficult it is. In my book, I say that sex needs to be a two-way street. Comfortable with the status-quo is fine, but eventually, comfortable can become boring. One or the other starts looking for the 'treat' for the liqueur chocolate, something a little bit special, something perhaps like making love on a school night, and not just Sunday morning when the kids are downstairs watching TV..... I wont be having a liqueur chocolate every day... but Monday morning was certainly more special because of it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment